EVENTS & COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR
Position Type: Part-time (2 days per week in January / 3 days per week in February / 4 to 5 days per week in March, full-time at conference and related events / 2 days in first week of April)
Job Region: B.C. – Vancouver & Lower Mainland
Reporting to: Management Team
Application Deadline: 5:00pm (PST) | December 1, 2023
Starting date: Beginning of January
Responsibilities: The Events and Communications Coordinator will be integral to organizing and delivering our annual Civic Governance Forum, to be held in-person in Vancouver, BC from Friday, March 22 to Saturday, March 23, 2024. Prior to the forum, a number of pre-conference gatherings will also be organized, including a “Solidarity Economy” event on Thursday, March 21. Reporting to the Management Team, the Events and Communication Coordinator will:
- Support program development;
- Liaise with speakers on conference information, registration, accommodation, and workshops;
- Support organization of youth delegation;
- Recruit volunteers and develop volunteer plan;
- Prepare plans for childcare and transportation.
- Prepare running script/event order;
- Point person for AV and digital needs;
- Oversee execution of event;
- Facilitate outreach to potential participants;
- Draft communications work plan;
- Lead content creation for marketing, outreach, website, and social media;
- Facilitate participation of photographer and videographer;
- Be present at all pre-Forum events and Forum events; and,
- Draft final conference report;
- Perform other work-related tasks assigned from time to time.
The successful candidate will have most of the following qualities and experience:
- Experience in event organizing;
- Experience in digital communications and/or marketing.
- Excellent organizing and coordinating capacity;
- Demonstrated ability to organize multiple tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines, work independently, and perform under the pressure of time constraints;
- Ability to maintain a positive, responsive attitude, and work collaboratively with a remote team;
- Strong written and oral communication skills, diplomacy, and tact;
- Comfort using digital tools including online conference platforms, event registration platforms, MailChimp, WordPress, social media, Microsoft Office, Adobe Professional and InDesign.
This is a contract position that can be remote, ideally in PST time zone. Must be available to attend all related events in-person. As a certified Living Wage employer, this role is paid $30.00/hr, which is above the new Living Wage for Metro Vancouver. The position may involve overtime.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by 5pm PST on December 1, 2023 by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants in advance; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Our mission is to foster and support leadership for inclusive, equitable, and sustainable communities across Canada. We believe that communities who value social justice, the environment, and strong local economies are healthier and happier places to live. Our projects and initiatives focus on civic governance, scholarships, and research.
About our conference
Now in its nineteen edition, our hallmark conference inspires, informs, and connects progressive elected officials from B.C. and across Canada, alongside union leaders and civil society experts by bringing them together to learn about inspiring policies and practices, informed research, and transformative actions around issues of shared priority and interest. https://columbiainstitute.eco/event/high-ground-2023/