Survey reveals scope of wage theft in OntarioFebruary 6, 2012
The Workers Action Centre based in Ontario has released a survey describing wage theft in Ontario.
The Workers’ Action Centre survey of low-wage workers found:
• 20% earned less than minimum wage
• 39% failed to receive earned overtime pay
• 36% were fired or laid off without termination pay or notice
• 34% struggled to get vacation pay
• 33% were owed wages and of those only 23 per cent were ever paid
The organization wants employers to comply with the law and is pressuring the government for better enforcement.
Read more in the Toronto Star.
Download report Unpaid Wages, Unprotected Workers