Our tenth edition of ‘Briefing Notes’ in 2022 covers the top stories from the month, sharing excerpts on COP27 updates, adapting to a warming world, the Black Business Association of B.C.’s first retail store on Granville Island and more. Plus, we’re hiring a Conference Coordinator! Apply by December 9th.
Month: November 2022
Job Posting: Conference Coordinator
Position Type: Part-time (1 day per week in January / 2 to 3 days per week in February / 3 to 4 days per week in March, full-time at conference / 2 days in first week of April)
Job Region: B.C. – Vancouver & Lower Mainland
Reporting to: Management Team
Application Deadline: 5:00pm (PST) | December 9, 2022
Starting date: Beginning of January
Responsibilities: The Conference Coordinator will be integral to organizing and delivering Columbia Institute’s upcoming annual Civic Governance conference, to be held in-person from March 24-25, 2023 in Harrison Hot Springs. Reporting to the Management Team, the Coordinator will:
- Support program development;
- Liaise with speakers on general conference information, registration and their workshops;
- Set up meetings with management team, prepare actions items, and ensure follow-up;
- Recruit youth participants;
- Recruit volunteers and develop volunteer plan;
- Prepare running script / event order and oversee and manage execution of event;
- Help create content for marketing, outreach, website, and social media;
- If the program is hybrid, organize digital portion of program;
- Draft final conference report;
- Be present during the conference; and,
- Perform other work-related tasks assigned from time to time.
The successful candidate will have most of the following qualities and experience:
- Experience in event organizing;
- Excellent organizing and coordinating capacity;
- Demonstrated ability to organize multiple tasks, set priorities, meet deadlines, work independently, and perform under the pressure of time constraints;
- Ability to maintain a positive, responsive attitude, and work collaboratively with a remote team;
- Strong written and oral communication skills, diplomacy, and tact;
- Comfort using digital tools including online conference platforms, event registration platforms, MailChimp, WordPress, social media, Microsoft Office, Adobe Professional and InDesign.
This is a contract position that can be remote, ideally in PST time zone. Must be available to attend the conference in-person. We will pay the new Vancouver living wage of $24.08/hr. The position may involve overtime.
Please submit a cover letter and resume by 5pm PST on December 9, 2022 by email to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants in advance; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Our mission is to foster and support leadership for inclusive, equitable, and sustainable communities across Canada. We believe that communities who value social justice, the environment, and strong local economies are healthier and happier places to live. Our projects and initiatives focus on civic governance, scholarships, and research.
About our conference
Now in its eighteenth edition, our hallmark conference inspires, informs, and connects progressive elected officials from BC and across Canada, alongside union leaders and civil society experts by bringing them together to learn about inspiring policies and practices, informed research, and transformative actions around issues of shared priority and interest. High Ground 2023.